• survivor id
  • Krystal, Kansas City, MO
  • phone
  • address
  • city
  • state
  • zip
  • join nccc
  • I am a cancer survivor
  • June 2, 2005

    I am 29 years old and have three children. In March 2005, I finally received health insurance from my present job. So I made an appointment for a women check-up, only to find out that I had an abnormal pap smear. When I called the nurse, I was told I had canerous looking cells and needed to make an appointment with an OB/GYN.I was really scared just by the word cancer. When I asked her again if she said canerous cells she said yes. I got really upset, a few hours later the my doctor called back and said it was canerous looking cells but I needed to go see an OB/GYN doctors for a biopsy to find out why I had abnormal cells. I had an appointment within a week. I had just moved last year from Colorado so I didn^t have a doctor here and I hadn^t been in for a check in almost two years because I didn^t have any insurance. I have always gone to the doctors for my normal check-ups but this was the first time I had such a gap. Of, course I had to wait until I found a job with health insurance. A couple of years ago I had a abnormal pap but was told to come back in and be retested and the second time it came back normal. When I went to see the OB/GYN she explained to me that it was pre-canerous cells and that I was in the first stage of cancer. She told me that I needed to call her nurse the day I started period and make an appointment for a biopsy. I had to wait a month for that and the whole time I was really scared. The month finally passed and I went in for the biopsy and had to wait 14 days for the results. When the results came in, I was called to the office and was told I did have pre-cancer cells and I was in the first stage of cancer. I had two options, either wait and be tested every six months for the next two years or have my uterus froze. I was told that 70% of the time it goes away on it^s on. Well, I didn^t want to take that chance so I decided to have the procedure done. I had to wait again until I started my period before I could make the appointment. Last Friday I went in and had my uterus froze. It takes two weeks for this process to be finished because of the water discharge you lose, which will go on for 10-14 days. I go back in November this year to be tested again. Now, I am just praying to God, things will be already and it won^t came back. The doctor told me I was high-risk for cancer and that scares me but I am getting threw this one day at a time. I have read a lot of peoples stories and I am to glad that I have had three beautiful children because sometime in the near future I may never be able to have children. We should all be thankful for the life we live because there is so many women that don^t make it threw this. My grandmother also had cerivcal cancer, she died before I was born. She also had a blood clot but the blood clot killed her first.

  • 09-03 -2005
  • arch id