I guess I am really seeking some advice from those who have been there...
After 7 years, I finally went to an OB/GYN provider to show my daughters that a PAP was no "big deal". Thank the Lord I did go! A few days after my PAP, my provider called to tell me that there were some abnormal cells on the PAP, and he would like to schedule me for a cervical biopsy with colpo, and an ECC. He did the cervical bx and colpo, but decided to wait on the ECC. The cervical bx came back with "abnormal cells" (he did not tell me the actual pathology report said CIN III adenocarcinoma in situ), and he went a head with the ECC. Then he said it showed "a lesion" in the endocervical region, and he wanted to do a cone biopsy. I underwent this on 08/23/11, and no one prepared me for the cramping and stuff that went along with it!
The cone results had to be sent off because the local pathologist wasn^t 100% of the stage of the cervical cancer. The Mayo Clinic confirmed it was a stage 1A1 almost stage 1A2.
What I am needing advice on is...should I insist on speaking with a GYN/ONC provider? My OB/GYN said he was going to "double check" with the oncologist to see if I could just have a total abdominal hysterectomy so he could do the surgery. However, the more I read on the Internet the more concerned I become...my family history is full of various female cancers and breast cancer, and to say the least, I am scared.
Can I request a radical hysterectomy just to be sure that there is no lymph node involvement?
I would love to hear from any one who has a similar staging and what their providers told them. I want to make sure that I do everything to ensure the cancer does not return.
I am 42 years old, and a mom to five wonderful children, and two grandbabies that I want to see grow up.
Please feel free to email me!